Aman & I started our Road trip from Mumbai to Bangalore by WagonR early in the morning. We planned to reach Bangalore on the same day without staying anywhere. We both love road trips and are good driver so we wanted to cover the more distance in day light.
Road Trip from Mumbai to Bangalore
If you are planning Mumbai Bangalore road trip by car then you should know this.
- Mumbai to Bangalore distance by Car – 1000 Km
- ATMs on the way – Many (nearby city or petrol pumps)
- Petrol pumps – Many
- Highway Hotels & Restaurants – Many
- Road conditions – Runway
- Best season – Anytime
- Is night driving safe – Yes
- Is the adventure good to try with family – Yes
- Hospitals on the way – Yes
- Nitrogen – rarely available
Important things to carry
- Driving license
- Updated PUC
- Your tool Kit/ Emergency Kit
- Insurance Policy
- Vehicle papers
- Sufficient Cash
- Water Bottles
- Some Snacks
- Loads of Music tracks
- Camera to shoot your journey
- Mobile Car Charger
- Car Cushions (if required)
- Backup Stepney
- An obvious – Recently serviced CAR
Do not carry drinks – Police may check your vehicle once you cross the Maharashtra border at toll Naka. There is heavy fine for the same if you are planning Mumbai to Bangalore by Car.
Many friends of mine have done this classic road trip in the past and gave me the confidence to go for it. I have been to many adventurous road trips but Pune to Goa Bike Trip is the favorite till date.
Mumbai to Bangalore road Trip Route –>
Mumbai – Panvel (Expressway) – Pune – Satara – Kolhapur – Belgaum – Hubli – Tumakuru – Bangalore
Following are the spots, halts in sequence
Mostly, I will not recommend halting at any remote destination until & unless required. But day time you can have fun while driving your car through one of the scenic routes of India for long drive. Road Trip from Mumbai to Bangalore famous halts are –
- Lonavala – Every Mumbaikar is aware of the best hill station near Mumbai and can choose for a click while crossing Western Ghats. It’s express way and halting unnecessarily prohibited on the way. Make it carefully.
- Katraj Ghat & Tunnel – This is another favorite spot near Pune.
- Kailas Express Inn – Don’t forget to eat Famous Kailas Bhel just before Khed Shivapur Toll.
- Vijaystambh – Historical pillar engraved with the royal seal of Ch. Shivaji Maharaj.
- Nira River Bridge – Before crossing the Nira River Bridge, you can get down and soak yourself into the surrounding nature.
- Khmbataki Ghat & Tunnel – Another beautiful place to breathe in fresh air and get the view of Plateau.
- After crossing this Ghat, there is a right turn for Mahabaleshwar. I remember this turn when I did my Mahabaleshwar bike ride from Pune
- Key Shaped Well in Bhuinj – Another historical place to explore Key shaped step well. Just one minute away from Main road.
- Bara Motechi Vihir – Another but bigger historical step well at Limb village is perfect destination for countryside halt. Timings – Moring to Evening only. 15 minutes detour from main highway and road is not in good condition but the place is worth the visit.
- Kesariya Mandir, Karad – Beautiful & peaceful temple on highway itself. Worth 5 minutes break.
Road is so beautiful and you won’t even come to know that when your vehicle speeds up. WagonR touched 140 Km/hr even though we wanted to maintain the speed below 100 and gain some mileage. Road were empty before crossing Kolhapur and there was a straight stretch of road like a runway. We were flying for particular that patch. I request everyone to control the speed. This road trip is all about how you control your speed. Show patience. With the WagonR, we had no option to drive between speed range of 80-100 Km/hr.
Also Read: KONKAN BEACHES & COASTAL ROAD TRIP
After KAGAL, you cross the Maharashtra – Karnataka Border. After entering Karnataka, road quality will continue to please you. In fact, surrounding beauty doubles while crossing the Belgaum region.
After entering Karnataka, our halts reduced drastically as we still had to cover lot of distance to reach Bangalore.
- Second Vidhana Soudha of Karnataka, Belgavi – A beautiful building of north Karnataka with amazing view of town.
- Khalsa Punjabi Dhaba, Dharwad – Dhaba for dinner on highway is amazing combination. I love Dhabas and their food. Obviously, we had one full Lassi after the dinner.
It was completely dark and we thought after dinner struggle of not sleeping will start, but never came that situation as in few Km you get a Toll Naka in Karnataka. There are hell lot of toll in Karnataka. You keep paying INR 5 & 10 for a series of Toll Naka. Sometimes, you end up paying INR 100 or INR 150 as well.
After Dharwad, we were very slow. Deliberately Aman was driving slow and enjoying his music. Actually, it was his dream to listen to music for hours on long night drive. Kya Kya dreams hote hai but log pura karte hai.
As it was night we avoided all the planned halts. We planned to visit the those while returning i.e. during Bangalore to Mumbai Road trip.
- Utsav Rock Garden – This one we missed.
At Harihar, we missed the route. We entered into the city instead of bypass even though there were big direction boards. This is highway syndrome, I think. After too much driving, driver goes in auto mode of just driving. It was time for a halt, as we kept driving continuously after the dinner.
We parked our car randomly on highway where no one was around just to change the seats. It was much cold outside. We opened the window and wash our faces with the water. I took the charge of driving. Aman was exhausted but was awake. While driving, we were discussing our old college stories.
Finally, Welcome To Bangalore Board
I kept driving, paying tolls and suddenly we came to know that we entered Bangalore city. It was 2 AM when we reached our destination. Beautiful NH 48 road journey is not at all possible to describe in words. Go and experience it once. It was complete satisfaction to our soul that we did it without any difficulty. Road trip from Mumbai to Bangalore was a great achievement. Keep reading! Keep Exploring!