Lonavala is just 100 KMs from Mumbai and 65 KMs from Pune. It’s a dream location & hill station for everyone due to cascading waterfalls, beautiful scenic locations, surrounding landscape greenery, huge lakes & mountains. During summer, it is most preferred destination among tourist and holidaymakers. Weekend footfall increases in monsoon as Lonavla becomes most loving weekend getaway destination near Mumbai & Pune. It is easily accessible by road and rail transport but most of the weekend traveler likes to drive to this hill station. Due to express way connectivity, one can easily reach Lonavla and even enjoy the road journey.
Places to visit in Lonavala
- Lions Point or Tiger point – Very beautiful place with valley view. Small eateries which are 24 hours open for visitors and serve yummy snacks.
- Bhushi Dam – The most crowded place in Lonavla during monsoon. Best for families to enjoy flowing chilled water of the dam. Note: During monsoon, should be avoided on weekends.
- Della Adventure – Adventure hub with more than 50 activities to witness thrill. There are stay options to make a perfect weekend getaway near Mumbai.
- Wax Museum Lonavla – With the increasing fans, hill station has come up with Wax Museums for entertainment. One can spend an hour or two max.
- Karla Caves – It is an ancient Buddhist cave complex. One can drive up to the point and explore.
- Pawna Lake Camping & Boating – Pawna Lake is huge water reservoir with the scenic landscape views. One can go for Kayaking, Motor boat ride, Banana ride, Jet ski, Pedal boating
- Rajmachi off-road driving – If you are off road enthusiast then this road is for you. On weekend, you can see many Thars or Bullet riders enjoying the journey till Rajmachi base village.
- Shirota Lake Bike ride – Again serene lake near the city. One should must visit to enjoy beautiful sunrise and sunset amidst nature.
- Lohagad fort – If you are trekking enthusiast then Lohagad trek is must. You can read my Travel guide for Lohagad.
- Dukes Nose – Naghfani point which is visible from Khandala ghat, needs 45 min hike to reach top. It offers picturesque valley view.
- Khandala Sunset Point – It is very famous family point on old-highway. One can enjoy tea & vada paav on return journey.
- Bhaje Caves & Waterfall – Beautiful caves at Malavali, just opposite to Karla caves, attracts crowd mostly on weekend.
- Korigad Fort Trek – One of the easy treks in Lonavala, takes one hour to reach top plateau. Aamby Valley is visible from the top.
Best time to visit Lonavala
Hill station is all time best place to visit as one can experience the temperature drop while travelling from Mumbai & Pune. Monsoon is famous among adventure enthusiast for trekking and waterfall rappelling.
Hotels in Lonavla – Stay options
- MTDC, Karla
- Kumar Resort
Bungalows and Farmhouse
There are many stay options for groups. Most of the young crowd prefers Bungalows with swimming pool or valley facing farmhouse in Lonavla.
Things to do in Lonavla
- Hot balloon ride
- Adventure activities in Della
- Cycling in Lonavala
- Waterfall Rappelling
- Kayaking in Pawna Lake
There is a lot to explore in and around this hill station. Moreover, if you have time then you can enjoy the peace and chilled weather to the fullest. Don’t forget t buy Chikki and Fudge.
Keep reading & Keep Travelling!